How to check hardware specification in Linux

Subject:

How to check hardware specification in Linux

Saturday, November 12, 2011

You may at times need to check hardware information of you computer for many reasons, such as to find a correct driver or to check everything when you want to buy a used computer. In Windows, the only tool I know is Speccy but in Linux, I'm quite familiar to some different tools. In this article, I will introduce the tools that are used with the command line only, so you wont find any tool with a graphic interface here. Also, I assume that these tools are not preinstalled in your distro by default (since I'm using Arch Linux) so just skip the installation part if you already have these tools in your system.

1 - check the /proc/ folder

The /proc/ folder has many useful files to check hardware info. The most popular files are /proc/cpuinfo (about processor info), /proc/meminfo (about RAM memory) and /proc/partitions (a full list about all disk partitions). To check these files, you can go directly to the folder and open these files with the default text editor. You can also run the "cat" command to display these files on the terminal. For example, you can run the following command to display processor info on the terminal

cat /proc/cpuinfo

2 - lshw

lshw is a small tool (just about 1MB) to extract detailed information on the hardware configuration of the machine. It can report exact memory configuration, firmware version, mainboard configuration, CPU version and speed, cache configuration, bus speed, etc. Last time I checked, lshw is preinstalled in Ubuntu by default so you can skip the installation part (but I'm not so sure about that). To install lshw in Ubuntu and other Debian based distros, run this command:

sudo apt-get install lshw

If you use Arch Linux, run the following command to install it.

sudo pacman -S lshw

If you want lshw to give a full list of hardware info in details, just run this command (the list is quite long so it may take a little time to scan and display the info )

sudo lshw

If you just need a short list about hardware, you can use the following command

sudo lshw -short

- See more at: http://www.linuxandlife.com/2011/11/how-to-check-hardware-specification-in.html#sthash.PO5VkLak.dpuf

2015-01-29 13:20:10gstlouis

dmidecode | grep -A3 '^System Information'

can get motherboard information

gstlouis
vote
2015-11-27 17:38:45

hard drive information 

lsblk -io KNAME,TYPE,SIZE,MODEL

gstlouis
vote
2016-09-28 17:54:12